29 April 2014

Coles Bakery Crown Apple Danish


Coles Bakery has an apple danish available in some of their bakeries that, while not loudly advertised as such, is in fact dairy free. I bought one at the Spencer St Coles in the city yesterday to test it out. 


The apple danish is baked in store and is part of a range of pastries now available at Coles; unfortunately, this is the only item in the range that is dairy free. 

It is a very standard supermarket pastry - not outstanding but  adequate. I ate it a day after it was baked, which is still a day before it's "best before" date, but the pastry was already pretty soggy. The topping is a sweet apple glaze with small chunks of apple and a very sweet icing drizzle over top. There is a slight almond flavour as well. 


This is less than what I'd expect from a specialty gourmet baker, but exactly what I'd expect from a generic supermarket pastry. And that's why it's a good find: dairy free people can almost never eat stock standard sweet bakery items: they're almost always off limits. It's great to find a very normal item, one not labeled specifically as allergy friendly, that we can eat as if we were normal. If I were having coffee at a friend's house or was at an early morning meeting where everyone else had muffins, I would be grateful to have these on hand as an option. When I try these again, I will try to eat them as fresh as possible, which will hopefully improve the pastry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment