10 June 2014

Coles Chicken Breast Schnitzel



Coles has a dairy free fresh RSPCA approved chicken breast schnitzel available in original and garlic herb flavours. 




I was happy to discover this in the supermarket today. It's a real breast meal chicken schnitzel that's available fresh, not frozen, in the meat section. Preparation is pretty standard: take out of package, put on tray, bake 20 minutes. 



It's a pretty good schnitzel. There's a good amount of breading, which gets nice and crispy, the meat is a good size piece of unprocessed breast meat that stays very moist and the flavour is more or less what you'd expect from packaged supermarket schnitzel, which is to say a little bland but more or less like chicken. My only real complaint is that I prefer my schnitzel to use thin, tenderised pieces of chicken and this is a thick, untenderised piece of breast meat. But that's really a matter of personal taste more than anything! 


I always love when a "normal" product also happens to be dairy free, and I consider this a great find in that category. My partner adores chicken schnitzel and until now we had been breading our own as we hadn't found a pre-made product that was definitely dairy free. This will make a weekday schnitzel or parma dinner much easier and quicker. It will also be an easy snack to have around when the two year old in my life is over and won't eat anything but chicken strips - this will be completely unchallenging and recognisable enough for him.   

All in all, I was impressed with this and will definitely purchase it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment