03 June 2014

Kingland Soy Yogurt


Kingland Soy Yogurt is available at Coles and Woolworths. I tried the Mango & Peach flavour today. It has a great texture and the same probiotic benefits of dairy yogurt. The flavour is not great, though I might get used to it.
Kingland comes in a few flavours. My pre-allergy favourite was always black cherry with peach a close second, so I chose the mango & peach flavour. 


A few notes on the ingredients. This yogurt is made with live cultures, which is great for the probiotic benefits. It contains firming agents (thickener 1442, vegetable gums 415 and 412) that really seem to help the texture, which is firm and not runny. It also contains a fairly large amount of sugar. I got the 250g container which I'd probably eat as part of two days' worth of breakfast. The container has almost 34g of sugar in it, for 17 extra grams of sugar each morning. Ouch! 




So, do I like it? Is it worth it? Yes and no. Like all other commercial soy yogurts I've tried, it has a taste. You probably know what I'm talking about - that strange soy aftertaste. Some people don't mind it, others get used to it. I'm getting closer to the latter category, but still not quite there yet. It's really not too bad in this yogurt, but it's still there. I love the texture, but the sugar and acids added to mask the aftertaste as well as the aftertaste itself is not great. 

But luckily, my favourite way to eat yogurt is with chopped fruit and muesli, parfait style. This works great for that. The texture means it's not a runny mess and the fresh fruit helps to cover up the soy aftertaste. I won't be eating this on its own again, but it will be a great part of my breakfast parfait for a Sunday morning treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment