20 May 2014

Smudge Cocoa Spread


Smudge cocoa spread from Freedom Foods is a dairy free, gluten free, nut free, vegan version of Nutella. It's one of two dairy free chocolate spreads easily available in Melbourne grocery stores (the other is a Sweet William product). 
I used to be quite a Nutella fan; I'd eat it on toast, apple slices and, heck, I'll admit it, all by itself on a spoon. There are a bunch of other naturally dairy free spreads out there: peanut butter, tahini, jam and honey to name a few but (as the plethora of articles on this site in the chocolate category will attest to) there is a large, chocolatey soft spot in my heart. Nutella was pretty hard to give up so I've been searching out its substitute almost since the start. 

Smudge is pretty good. The texture is thick yet glossy and smooth, exactly as I'd expect. It spreads nicely and even melts a little bit on warm toast in the same way Nutella does. It is really a pretty good substitute. My one complaint is the flavour: in addition to sugar, Smudge is also flavoured with stevia. This may be a plus for some as it reduces the amount of white sugar in the product but I don't personally like the taste of stevia. The product definitely tastes of stevia in that slightly liquorice / almost aspartame kind of way. 

I will definitely finish my jar of Smudge; in fact, I've finished three spoonfuls as I've written this! But I probably won't buy another jar right away due to the stevia taste. Instead, I'm looking at ways to make chocolate spread at home, both of the nut free and hazelnutty variety. If I find a great recipe, I'll share it with you in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment