27 May 2014

Hansells Lemon Tarts



Hansells make dairy free lemon and raspberry tarts that are currently available at Woolworths. 

It's always a treat to find "normal" food that happens to be dairy free. In the case of these tarts, the pastry is made with vegetable shortening instead of butter which is great news for those of us who can't eat dairy. 


There's two parts to these tarts: the pastry and the filling. I couldn't quite decide which I liked least. Both had a good texture but a very strange taste. The pastry had a strange off taste that I can't quite put my finger on (was the oil slightly rancid? the flour extremely low quality?) and the lemon filling is both very tart and very sweet but both in a fake tasting way, almost like a sour lemon gummy sweet. 

These tarts were not for me. It wasn't so unpleasant that I spit it out; in fact, I ate a whole tart trying to figure out exactly what it was I didn't like. But that was my last tart. I won't finish the packet and I definitely won't buy them again. I tried them on a couple of unsuspecting friends to see if i could palm off the remainder, but they agreed that they were not a pleasant experience. 

What a shame to find something in the store that I can eat and then discover it's something I'll never want to eat again. Oh well, we'll journey on and hopefully have more luck the next time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment